Current Research Projects
Dr Singh is a Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery and a Primary Supervisor for the University of Sydney Postgraduate Researchers (HDR/ Higher Degree by Research) in Surgery.
Prof Singh is currently supervising:
Masters and Doctoral (PhD) candidates.
If you are considering a research degree in ENT (Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery) through the University of Sydney, we recommend you contact us to meet with Prof Singh. The University of Sydney is Australia’s oldest and largest medical school. We have dedicated research funding available. You will be supported by the research facilities of The University of Sydney and the clinical resources of The Western Sydney LHD, including Westmead Hospital, Australia’s largest healthcare campus. Prof Singh has numerous research topics available for motivated researchers. Publication of your results is our priority.
Research focus areas
Prof Singh’s two key focus areas of research are:
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) in the nose and sinuses
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in ENT
- Prof Singh founded the Australian Society for AI in Medicine, Surgery and Healthcare and convened the first Australian scientific meeting in Sydney, 2019
Please click on the picture for an enlarged view
Click here to download a copy of Prof Singh's Thesis, for the award of Master of Surgery from The University of Sydney, entitled "Allergen Specific Cytokine Production by Cells Derived From Human Nasal Polyps"
Recent Scientific publications
- Parmar, P, A R Habib, D Mendis, A Daniel, M Duvnjak, J Ho, M Smith, D Roshan, E Wong, Singh N. 2020. An Artificial Intelligence Algorithm That Identifies Middle Turbinate Pneumatisation (Concha Bullosa) on Sinus Computed Tomography Scans. The Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 1–4. doi:10.1017/s0022215120000444.
- Wong E, Deboever N, Sritharan N, Singh N. 2020. Laryngopharyngeal Reflux is Associated with Nasal Septal Deviation. (Eur J Rhinol Allergy 2020; 3: 1-3). DOI: 10.5152/ejra.2020.235
- Ho J, Wong E, Singh N. 2020 Bilateral Chronic Maxillary Atelectasis with a Unilateral Accessory Ostium. Eur J Rhinol Allergy 2020; 3(1): 23-5. Laryngopharyngeal Reflux is Associated with Nasal Septal Deviation. DOI: 10.5152/ejra.2020.227
- Habib, A R, E Wong, R Sacks, Singh N. 2020. Artificial Intelligence to Detect Tympanic Membrane Perforations. The Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 1–5. doi:10.1017/s0022215120000717
- Wong, E, Singh N. 2020. Isolated Sphenoid Allergic Fungal Sinusitis Causing Bilateral Blindness. Otolaryngology Case Reports, 100153. doi:10.1016/j.xocr.2020.100153.
- Wong, E, Deboever N, Chong J, Sritharan N, Singh N. 2020. Isolated Topical Decongestion of the Nasal Septum and Swell Body Is Effective in Improving Nasal Airflow. American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy, 1945892420902913.
- Smith, M, Wong E, Ho J, Tjahjono R, Coleman H, Singh N, Sritharan N. 2020. Ectopic Sinonasal Craniopharyngioma Arising From the Anterior Ethmoid Sinus – Case Report and Literature Review. Otolaryngology Case Reports 15: 100151. doi:10.1016/j.xocr.2020.100151.
- Inthavong K, Shang Y, Wong E, Singh N. Characterization of nasal irrigation flow from a squeeze bottle using computational fluid dynamics. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2019 Nov 6. doi: 10.1002/alr.22476
- Inthavong, K., Das, P., Singh, N., & Sznitman, J. (2019). In silico approaches to respiratory nasal flows: A review. Journal of Biomechanics, 97, 109434. DOI:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2019.109434
- Wong, E., Inthavong, K., & Singh, N. (2019). Comment on the European position paper on diagnostic tools in rhinology - computational fluid dynamics. Rhinology, 0(0), 0–0. doi.org/10.4193/Rhin19.269
- Huang, R., Nedanoski, A., Fletcher, D. F., Singh, N., Schmid, J., Young, P. M., et al. (2019). An automated segmentation framework for nasal computational fluid dynamics analysis in computed tomography. Computers in Biology and Medicine,115,103505. DOI:10.1016/j.compbiomed.2019.
- Huang, J, A R Habib, D Mendis, J Chong, M Smith, M Duvnjak, C Chiu, Singh N, E Wong. 2019. An Artificial Intelligence Algorithm That Differentiates Anterior Ethmoidal Artery Location on Sinus Computed Tomography Scans. The Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 1–4. doi:10.1017/s0022215119002536.
- Smith, M., Wong, E., Ahmadi, N., Singh, N. (2019). A nose out of joint: first reported case of prison-acquired marijuana-based rhinolith. BMJ Case Reports, 12, e231989.
- Ku D, Vasan K, Wong E, Tseros E, Singh N. Moffett's Solution Causes Significantly Greater Postoperative Throat Pain Compared to Cophenylcaine in Sinonasal Surgery. International Journal of Otolaryngology. July 2019. DOI: 10.1155/2019/3738647
- Andrews D, Wong EH, Ho J, Singh N. Chondro-Osseous Respiratory Epithelial Adenomatoid Hamartoma (COREAH): Case Report and Literature Review. Case Reports in Otolaryngology. July 2019. DOI:10.1155/2019/5247091
- Wong EH, Choroomi S, Palme CE, Singh N. Isolated primary maxillary sinus esthesioneuroblastoma presenting as idiopathic syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone. BMJ Case Reports. May 2019. DOI: 10.1136/bcr-2018-228666
- Wong EH, Cheng AT, Aggarwala S, Chong J, Duvnjak M, Azimi F, Cope D, Singh N. Paediatric fish bone ingestion: a 10-year analysis at a tertiary pediatric hospital. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology. May 2019. 2:16-16. DOI: 10.21037/ajo.2019.05.03
- Wong EH, Al-Eitri A, Chong J, Brown SJ, Dexter MAJ, Singh N. An alternative technique for pituitary tumour removal: Sequential endoscopic-microscopic pituitary procedure (SEMPP). Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 64, 94-97. April 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.jocn.2019.03.059
- Karunaratne Y, Gunaratne DA, Floros P, Wong EH, Singh N. Frontal Sinus Osteoma: From Direct Excision to Endoscopic Removal. The Journal of craniofacial surgery. April 2019 . DOI: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000005371
- Ansari UH, Wong EH, Smith M, Singh N, Palme CE, Smith M, Riffat F. Validity of narrow band imaging in the detection of oral and oropharyngeal malignant lesions: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Head & Neck 41(7). March 2019. DOI: 10.1002/hed.25724
- Ho J, Wong E, Tseros E, Gunaratne D, Singh N. Chronic maxillary atelectasis (including silent sinus syndrome) can present bilaterally. JLO. Feb 2019. DOI: 10.1017/S0022215119000252
- Singh N, Chong J, Ho J, Jayachandra S, Cope D, Azimi F, Eslick G, Wong E. Predictive Factors Associated With Spontaneous Passage Of Coins: A Ten-Year Analysis Of Paediatric Coin Ingestion In Australia. Int J Paed Otolaryngol. 2018 Oct;113:266-271. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2018.08.010.
- Singh N, Wong E, Huang J, Riffat F. Trans-Frontal Five-Fluorouracil: A novel technique for the application of adjuvant topical chemotherapeutic agents in sinonasal adenocarcinoma. BMJ Case Reports. October, 2018. DOI: 10.1136/bcr-2018-226234
- Sekhar V, Wong E, Elhassan H, Singh N. Moffett's muted mules: The science of laryngology in the art of war. JLO. 2018; October. doi: 10.1017/S0022215118001950
- Burgos Olmos M, Sanmiguel-Rojas E, Singh N, Esteban-Ortega F. DigBody®: a new 3D modeling tool for nasal virtual surgery. Comput Biol Med. 2018. 98, 118-125.
- Ho J, North H, Singh N. 40 Years of ‘Waltzing Matilda’: The history of the multichannel cochlear implant. Med J Aust. Dec 2018. DOI: 10.5694/mja18.00365
- Wong E, Singh N. An improved method for temporary suture medialisation of the middle turbinates following endoscopic sinus surgery. Int J Otolaryngol. 2018 Sep 2;2018:9093545. doi: 10.1155/2018/9093545
- Lau J, Elhassan H, Singh N. History of Intranasal Splints. JLO. 2018 Mar;132(3):198-201.
- Tseros E, Riffat F, Palme C, Coleman H, Singh N. Neville Wran’s Voice: How the NSW Premier’s teflon-coated vocal cords came unstuck. Med J Aust 2017; 207 (11): 468-470
- Gunaratne, D., Hasan, Z., Floros, P., Singh, N. Bilateral stage I chronic maxillary atelectasis. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2016, 26, 53-56
- Gunaratne D, Singh N. Endoscopic pedicled nasoseptal flap repair of spontaneous sphenoid sinus cerebrospinal fluid leaks. BMJ Case Rep 2015, 1-4
- Morris C, Ng T, Kevin P, Singh N. IgG4-related disease isolated to the nasal cavity: a rare cause of nasal obstruction. Journal of Laryngology and Otology. 2015 Jan; 129: S57-59.
- Singh N, Roberts D. An Inexpensive Blue Filter for Fluorescein-Assisted Repair of Cerebrospinal Fluid Rhinorrhea. Laryngoscope. 2014 May; 124(5): 1103-5
- Singh N, Walker RJ, Cowan F, Davidson C, Roberts D. Retrograde air escape via the nasolacrimal system: A previously unrecognised complication of continuous positive airway pressure in the management of obstructive sleep apnea. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2014 May; 123(5): 321-4
- Singh, N*., Faith, A*., Farooque, S., Dimeloe, S., Richards, D., Lu, H., Roberts, D., Chevretton, E., Lee, T., Corrigan, C., Hawrylowicz, C. (2012), T cells producing the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 regulate allergen-specific Th2 responses in human airways. Allergy. 67(8), 1007-1013. *Note: NS and AF contributed equally to the work (see publication manuscript)
- Singh N, Roberts DN. Rhinophyma: Current Management. Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery 145 (2 suppl), P143-P143
- Singh N, Faith A, Hawrylowicz C, Roberts DN, Corrigan CJ. Allergen-Specific Cytokine Production by Human Nasal Polyps. Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery 145 (2 suppl), P116-P116
- Greaney L, Singh N, Roberts DN. Surgical Management of Rhinophyma. Clinical Otolaryngology (2010), 35, 147–163
- Faith, A., Singh, N., Chevretton, E., Roberts, D., Lee, T., Corrigan, C., Hawrylowicz, C. (2009), Counter regulation of the high affinity IgE receptor, FcepsilonRI, on human airway dendritic cells by IL-4 and IL-10. Allergy. 64(11), 1602-1607
- Singh N, Rizk JG. Oesophageal perforation following the ingestion of over-the-counter ibuprofen capsules. Journal of Laryngology and Otology (2008), 122, 864–866.
- Singh N, Roberts D, Chevretton E, Corrigan C, Hawrylowicz C, Faith A. Allergen specific cytokine production by cells derived from human nasal polyps. Internal Medicine Journal 2008; 38 (Suppl. 6): A149–A176
- Faith A, Singh N, Chevreton E, Roberts D, Lee TH, Corrigan C, Hawrylowicz C. Expression and function of the high affinity IgE receptor, FcERI, on human airway dendritic cells: S10. Clinical & Experimental Allergy. 38(12):1981, December 2008.
- Singh N, Fung A, Cole IE. Innominate artery haemorrhage following tracheostomy. Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (2007) 136, S68-S72.
- Faith A, Singh N, Chevreton E, Lee TH, Hawrylowicz C. The high affinity IgE receptor (FcERI) is expressed by human respiratory tract dendritic cells and is susceptible to modulation by inflammatory cytokines: S15. Clinical & Experimental Allergy. 37(12):1885, December 2007.